Winter is coming and that means the slow cooker is getting dragged out. It turns out that Christmas dinner will be hosted at Spinne haus this year, therefore I’m trying to use up whatever is in the freezer in order to make room for everything. Turns out I had venison and chopped butternut squash already in (courtesy of the Whoops aisle) as well as everything else. The chorizo was acquired from Aldi’s for less than £2. Basically I finished work one morning (I work nights), shoved this in the slow cooker, threw some dumplings in once I’d woken up (also from the freezer – I had leftovers from a previous recipe) and then cranked the heat up. Totally easy to do and delicious.
Venison and Chorizo Casserole (Serves 3)
- 300 Grams Venison Diced and dried with kitchen roll
- 2 Tbsp Plain Flour
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 75 Grams Chorizo Diced
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 2 Clove Garlic Crushed
- 2 tsp Spanish Paprika
- 250 ml Beef Stock
- 250 ml Red Wine
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 200 Grams Butternut Squash Peeled and chopped
- Cover the venison in flour, heat the oil in a frying pan, add the venison and brown all over.
- Add the onion and garlic and stir until the onion softens.
- Add all of the ingredients to your slow cooker, season and cook on low for about 6 hours.
- If adding dumplings to the mix, add them with an hour or so to go and turn the heat up to high.
Bish, Bash, Bosh.